Are you a fan of spiders? If yes be sure to know them well, because not all of them are friendly.
One of the most poisonous spider is the black widow or Latrodectusmectans. It can be identified by its color (depending on the type) and an hourglass-like shape in its abdomen. Typically, black widow spiders are found in temperate regions of the south and west and sometimes in the United States.
How poisonous are black widow spider species?
READ False Widow Spider Bite Sends Alison Blackburn To Intensive Care For Five Days
Black widow is much feared because its bite is fifteen times more venomous than a rattlesnake. If a human is bitten by a black widow, the spider bite symptoms are muscle pain, abnormalities in diaphragm that makes difficult to breath and nausea. This may be an overstatement, contrary to what reports say that a black widow spider bite has no serious damage to humans according to some people who were bitten by it. Many says that it can really be fatal if children, elderly or the infirm is infected by its venom.
The most vulnerable animals at risk from the black widow’s bite are the insects. Unfortunately; it is the male black widow spiders. A female black widow spider kills and eats her match from time to time after they mate in gruesome manners that gave the insect its name “widow”. Black widows are introverted all year-round but preys on her mate during the ferocious mating ritual.
The black widow spider makes a large web in which females hang a cocoon with hundreds of eggs. Spider-lings leave soon after they have been hatched, but the web remains there. A black widow spider uses her web to trap her prey usually mosquitoes,flies, grasshoppers, beetles, and caterpillars and other small insects.
Black widows are normally comb-footed spiders. They have spikes on their hind legs which they use to wrap their preys with silk when trapped. How do they feed? Black widows neutralize their insect preys with their fangs and form digestive enzymes to the corpses. By using these enzymes on their prey with their gritting fangs, the spiders soften the prey’s bodies and swallow the resulting fluid.
Black widow bite symptoms and treatment
How do you treat black widow spider bite symptoms?
- Widow spider bite makes you feel pin prick. Some people say it’s hard to notice that they have already been bitten by a black widow.
- You may notice on the bitten area, two faint red spots surrounded by fairly redness. At first glance it may only look like a slight local swelling.
- The pain usually start at the area of the part bitten. It might be in the arm or leg. Afterwards it goes to abdomen and back. In some instances, even the eyelids become swollen.
- Chest pain and muscle disorder are the common reactions because widow spiders inject toxins that affect the nervous system.
- The very first thing to do is to remain calm and get medical attention immediately.
- Get some soap and water to clean the bitten area. Then apply cool compress over the bite location and keep the area bitten elevated so that it won’t reach the heart faster.
- Lastly, don’t try to suck the poison just like in the movie; it does not work.
Remember that spiders like black widow are not aggressive. They only respond and bite as a self-defense. For an instance, they only bite people if they are accidentally pressed, sat upon or disturbed.